Your vacation in Bulgaria
BG
ENG
DE
RU
PL
 
  About Bulgaria
  History
  Tourist Information
  Black sea Coast
  The Danube & Premountain
  Stara planina - The Balkan
  Vitosha & Struma
  The Roses valley & Thracia
  Rila & Pirin Mountains
  The Rhodopes

  100 National Objects
  Thracians Treasure
  Bulgarian's Monasteries
  World Heritage
  SPA Resorts
  Village Tourism
  Hunting and Fishing Tourism
  Ecological Tourism

  Sofia
  Varna
  Plovdiv
  Burgas

  Photo Gallery
  Map
  Contact us
Vratsa, Vratschanski Balkan Nature Park, Ledenika Cave
Gabrovo, Etura, Bojenci, Sokol's Monastery
Montana, Berkovitsa, Varshets, Chiprovtsi
Botevgrad, Etropole, Skravena
Troyan, Troyan Monastery, Cherni Osum, Oreshak
Central Balkan National Park, Peak Botev
Shipka National Park-Museum

Botevgrad is 50 km. Sofia of in a northerly direction. The most ancient Thracian settlement is the fifth millennium BC., later called Slavs Zelin (Green). In the XVI century residents moving the current location of the city. In 1866 he passed the strategic military road Sofia-Ruse, and the town was called Orkhanie, named Sultan Orhan Gaazi (The Winner)

Residents of the city fight against the Ottoman invaders in armed bands. In 1870, Apostle of freedom Vasil Levski founded a revolutionary committee. In 1876 the population experienced the horrors of the brutal suppression of the April uprising. Botev rebels lead here last battle with the Turks, which is an occasion in 1934 to be renamed the town of Botevgrad. During the Russo-Turkish Liberation War 1877-1878 locals organize troops and fought with invading Russian troops. The area is an arena of protracted bloody battles between the army of the Russian General Joseph Gurko and hiding in the Stara Planina mountain passes Ottoman army.

The Clock tower is a symbol of the town, built in 1862-64. The Forest School Reserve, near the village Bojenitsa, is ancient oak forest with average age of over 110. The Drenthe Protected area is a between the villageLitakovo and Botevgrad. Murgash Forest park between the Iskar River to Teteven-Zlatitsa Mountain, here is the same name and Peak (1687 m), the subject of walking tours.

Etropole is situated in the beautiful valley of the “Malki Iskar” river, at the foot of the Baba hill, 80 km from Sofia. It has more than 2500 year history. It was founded during VII-VI c. B.C. from the Thracian tribe tribali. The village was on an important crossroad. The founded coins, pottery, luxurious crafts are from the trade relationships with Egypt and Phoenicia. The development of the ore mines stimulated the black smiths and all kind of metallurgy. In the 1820 there were 42 handicrafts counted in the city.

The economical progress made good conditions for cultural development. The Clock tower is from 1710, and the clock is still working. It was initially designed for a watch- and defense-tower. The Arnaud’s house is an architectural monument from the middle of XIX c. There is a historical exposition on its second floor. The church “St. Archangel Michael” is from the XVII c. Its view dates from 1837. The altar’s gates and the bishop's throne are very interesting.

The Etropole's Monastery "St Trinity" is situated at the foot of the Black Peak (not to be confused with the more popular Black Peak of the Vitosha mountain), about 5 km east of the town of Etropole. It is built over a lime rock, wherefrom its nickname of ‘Varovitets’ (Lime Monastery) must come. According to the legend, St John of Rila settled in a nearby cave in the area of Varovitets in search of peace and solitude. However, shortly afterwards, the proximity to the town of Etropole convinces him to leave the cave and move to the Rila mountain, far away from laymen’s vanity. Nevertheless, the local people of Etropole declared the place holy and laid the foundations of the present-day monastery.

During the time of the Ottoman rule in Bulgarian lands, the cloister was abandoned by its monks and left uninhabited for centuries. Yet by the end of the 16th century, it was restored and monks again settled in to transform it into one of the biggest cultural centres of the Bulgarian people. The monastery’s church “St Trinity” has retained its present-day look since 1858 and currently is considered a remarkable monument of Bulgarian architecture from the time of the Renaissance. The church’s wall paintings were made later, in 1907.

Memorial ossuary Botev rebels in Skravena - On June 3, 1876 in the village were brought impaled on stakes 10 Heads of Botev rebels. Residents of the village buried them and redeemed. Today, their mortal remains were laid in the memorial ossuary found in 1982. Eeach year in Skravena organized commemorative celebrations.

The monastery of St. Nicholas in Skravena is located in the southwestern foothills of Lakavishki Ridge, 2 km from Skravena. At the site there was pagan sanctuary, on which at the time of Tsar Peter the Christian church was built. In 1938 a priest from the village of Chelopech is a prophetic dream in St. Nicholas, as he reveals the monastery destroyed by the Turks. Began excavations have discovered foundations of a temple destroyed, a cell with a large fireplace and skeletons of people who participated in the defense of the monastery against the Turks.

Nearby are the foundations and found another church. Excavated ground today on rising new church, but it rises to the oak about 520 years old, 25 meters high. Below him is the grave of a nun Ludmila (1899-1986) which has dedicated his life to restore the monastery.







 
2005-2010 BgTourInfo © All Rights Reserved