Your vacation in Bulgaria
BG
ENG
DE
RU
PL
 
  About Bulgaria
  History
  Tourist Information
  Black sea Coast
  The Danube & Premountain
  Stara planina - The Balkan
  Vitosha & Struma
  The Roses valley & Thracia
  Rila & Pirin Mountains
  The Rhodopes

  100 National Objects
  Thracians Treasure
  Bulgarian's Monasteries
  World Heritage
  SPA Resorts
  Village Tourism
  Hunting and Fishing Tourism
  Ecological Tourism

  Sofia
  Varna
  Plovdiv
  Burgas

  Photo Gallery
  Map
  Contact us
Pleven, Lukovit
Veliko Tarnovo, Arbanasi, Gorna Oryahovitsa
Vidin, Kozloduj, Kula
Shumen, Novi Pazar, Pliska, Veliki Preslav, Madara
Svishtov, Nature Park Persina
The Monastery's around the Veliko Tarnovo
Silistra, Tutrakan, Sreburna
The Nature Park "Rusenski Lom", The Rock Monastery's

Lovech (50 000 c) is about 170 km. from Sofia and 35 of Pleven. One of the oldest towns in Bulgaria. Its environs were inhabited in antiquity. Under the name Melta was the capital of the Thracian tribe meldi. During the Middle Ages an important military center. Lovech fortress is one of the latter fell under Ottoman domination (1446). At the beginning of slavery residents have significant rights. It does not settle the Turks do not take children to the Janissaries. In 1784, the city was besieged and burned. In XVIII-XIX century, is growing again.

Today Lovech is a beautiful city, carefully preserved the atmosphere of the past. The only covered bridge in the Balkan peninsula connects the city center with Varosha, declared in 1969 for architectural and historical reserve. Drasov house in the first half of the XIX century, with typical architecture of the region. Presents the lifestyle of the rich business family with original furniture and exhibits.

Vasil Levski Museum is located in the old quarter of Varosha, with a collection of personal belongings of the Apostle of Freedom. Here are his scimitar, etc.

Devetashka cave is found of 15 km from Lovech and it’s one of the biggest caves in Bulgaria. Same of them are the most interesting Neolithic finds in the Bulgarian lands are discovered the caves.

Kakrinsko hanche (The rest house in Kakrina village) In 1873 in Sofia is hung the Apostle of the Bulgarian freedom Vasil Levski. He is convicted by the Turkish court after his catch in the inn near the village Kakrina. The museum is situated 17 km from Lovech and it’s with very good save of the Bulgarian national revival atmosphere.

Sevlievo is in Central North Bulgaria 178 away from Sofia and 238 km from Varna. During X century is built a fortress, round which is built huge town. The fortress is destroyed from the Turkish at the end of XIV century. During XVIII century Sevlievo is a center of a turkish administrative place of 50 villages. During 1834 is renewed the old church from XVII century, and in 1846 is opened one of the first in the country schools.

Vasil Levski created revolutionary cometee. After his capture is opened second, which prepares the April Uprising in 1876. From 1 to 11th May 1876 in the mountain are lead heavy battles, are destroyed 4 villages and regions. The leaders were hanged on the Sevlievo square. In 1894 on that place is built a memorial.

The cultural life of Sevlievo starts before 130 years with the establishment of library “Development”. The team of the Library is known in many European countries. The team of children also has long term traditions. Interesting are also some of the ancient churches in the villages of the region. A good place for water sports and fishing is dam lake Alexander Stamboliiski, 22 km from the town.

The Batoshevo monastery is situated some 10 km to the south of Sevlievo, on the bank of the Rositsa river. The monastery was established in the 1250, was destroyed with the fall of the Bulgarian state under Turkish rule. In 1809, a monk Isay, came as a hermit to this place. One day the monk heard the story of a herdswoman who one evening, while seeking for lost cattle, saw a mother and a child sitting over a stone and crying for being left forgotten and homeless. Isay built a small cottage close to the stone and telling the story of the herdswoman to the local people, trying to raise money for a new monastery.

In 1831, however, during a plague epidemic, many citizens of Sevlievo left their homes and fled to the Balkan mountain. The people then took a vow to build a monastery in the place of the old Batoshevo monastery if they survive the epidemic. Construction started in 1836. The first father superior of the new monastery is Hadzhi Makarii from the town of Troyan. The monastery became quickly a renowned religious school.

As many other monasteries the Batoshevo one also took an active part in revolutionary activity against the Turkish rulers. Famous revolutionaries came often to the monastery and organized secret meetings behind its walls. During the April Uprising in 1876, the monastery was set on fire by Turkish troops, but thanks to a sudden rain, the church was saved from the fire. The father superior at that time, David, was sent to prison and tortured there,priest Kalinik was tortured to death while the rest of the monks hardly escaped.


Lovech
Lovech
Devetashka cave
Sevlievo
Sevlievo
Batoshevo monastery
Batoshevo monastery
 
2005-2010 BgTourInfo © All Rights Reserved