Your vacation in Bulgaria
BG
ENG
DE
RU
PL
 
  About Bulgaria
  History
  Tourist Information
  Black sea Coast
  The Danube & Premountain
  Stara planina - The Balkan
  Vitosha & Struma
  The Roses valley & Thracia
  Rila & Pirin Mountains
  The Rhodopes

  100 National Objects
  Thracians Treasure
  Bulgarian's Monasteries
  World Heritage
  SPA Resorts
  Village Tourism
  Hunting and Fishing Tourism
  Ecological Tourism

  Sofia
  Varna
  Plovdiv
  Burgas

  Photo Gallery
  Map
  Contact us
Pleven, Lukovit
Veliko Tarnovo, Arbanasi, Gorna Oryahovitsa
Vidin, Kozloduj, Kula
Shumen, Pliska, Veliki Preslav, Madara
Svishtov, Nature Park Persina
The Monastery's around the Veliko Tarnovo
Silistra, Tutrakan, Sreburna
The Nature Park "Rusenski Lom", The Rock Monastery's

Silistra (51 000 s) is in the shore of Danube river - 440 km from Sofia, 120 km from Ruse and 140 km from Varna, regional center. The first written notice of the city is by Emperor Trajan in 106 for Durostorum stronghold, protecting the Empire north of the Danube. Durostorum is a great business and administrative center and customs station. Around 600, the Slavs settled north and give the city a new name - Drustar, Bulgarian became an important center, the first Bulgarian town - the seat of a bishop.

In 1391 itís overwhelmed by the turks. Ten towns from Pomorie enter in the Silistraís district until the mouth of Danube. In 1912 "The Balkan connection" routs the Turkish empire and leads dispensation off to the turkish domains of Europe. Grounding with eventual bulgarian acquisitions in Macedonia, Romania puts the desideratum for compensation and receives town Silistra. Through the Second World War itís an administrative center of the agrarian region in Dobrudja. It begins after 1970 the industry to develop.

The historical museum has a valuable monuments from the prehistoric, ancient and medieval eras, including a unique exhibits from the Roman period and the Column of Khan Omurtag. Ethnographic Museum presents South-Dobrudja culture from ’VIII-’I’ c.

Stronghold Medjidi Tabia is south of Silistra and is best preserved by the Turkish fortress, with an important role in the Russo-Turkish wars of the XIX century. The system of fortifications was made by the German military engineer Helmuth von Moltke, visited the city in 1837. The castle was built during the 1841-1853. In 1847 he was visited by the Sultan Abdul Medjid and is named after him. With the battle and siege of the fortress in 1853 during the Crimean War.

The lake of Sreburna (Silver lake) is near Danube, 16 km from Silistra. Itís a main ďbus stop" of the Via PontiŮa - the road of the birds of passage between a North Europe and Central Africa. Itís Announces to reserve in 1948. The depth is between 1 and 3m, it is stick-in-the-mud with a cane. Plants are rarity for Europe Circumstances Of Sreburna are real edem to the feathery.

Over 179 kinds of birds nest here. Few globally threatened of lost members of the animal world live here. To the reserve there are a museum and ecological station. Sreburna is included in convention for saved on the damp zones of international significance. Biosphere reserve and monument of the world cultural inheritance and the nature showplaces of UNESCO.

Tutrakan (12 000 inhabitants) is on a steep hill over the Danube, an important port, 60 km from Ruse. Then I c. it is important Roman fortress Transmariska, Bulgarians called it Tutrakan, fell under Turkish rule in 1388 after a long siege. Church of St. Nicholas (1865) was an exceptional architecture, the beautiful carving of the royal doors, iconostasis and frescoes by masters of Tryavna.

During its millennial existence Tutrakan is related to fishing, knitting of fishing nets and skippers workshops. At the beginning of XX c. Tutrakan has more than 5000 fishermen. Fishing hamlet is preserved in its authentic form, with fishing nets, fishing skippers workshops and houses. The only along the Danube Ethnographic museum "Danubian Fishing and Boat Construction" was opened in 1974.

Military tomb ossuary is a memorial died during the great battle for Tutrakan Fortress (1916). In Memorial bones are made of more than 8000 soldiers and officers - Bulgarians, Romanians, Germans.








 
2009 BgTourInfo © All Rights Reserved