||Pazardzhik, Varvara, Batkun Monastery
||Stara Zagora, Nova Zagora, Chirpan
||Kalofer, Pavel Banya
||Haskovo, Dimitrovgrad, Svilengrad
||Koprivshtitsa, Klisura, Peak Bogdan
Stara Zagora (156 000 c) is one of the biggest cities in Sredna Gora mountains on 197 m. height. It is 240 km. from Sofia and 90 km. from Plovdiv. It is an important crossroad and one of the most ancient Bulgarian cities. In VI c. B.C. Stara Zagora was an important Thracian city Beroe. In the II c. the Romans settled a city called Ulpia Augusta Trayana. Then it was destroyed and then rebuilt by the Slavs tribes which inhabited the region, called it Vereya. In IX c. the city becomes an important military and cultural center called Borui.
The Turks called it Eski Hisar (Old castle) and Eski Zagra (Luxuriant land). During the period of the national revival Stara Zagora is famous as a trade center. During the Liberation war it was burnt down and than then restored. Then can the period of fast economical growing.
Stara Zagora is also famous as the city of the lime-trees and the creators. The whole central part of the city is made to be an archaeological reserve. The two Neolithic houses are well preserved and they are supposed to be the best preserved in Europe. The ancient forum Augusta Trayana is in the middle of the old city. There is an authentic mosaic in the city center. There is a big memorial of the defenders of the city from the Liberation war which is 50 meters high. The park “Ayazmoto” is in the north part of the city over the hills of Sredna Gora.
Mineral baths of Stara Zagora is a resort with a millennial history, situated in the southern woodlands of the branches Sredna gora, 12 km from Stara Zagora. Of Thracian and Roman times have been reserved interesting monuments - pools of transparent marble, balneological bathing facilities and other facilities. The climate of the resort is transitional continental euphemistic of Mediterranean influence. The mineral water is hot, slightly mineralized. Treatment and prevention include the following conditions: The locomotory of the peripheral nervous system, gynecological, urological and renal-gastrointestinal.
Nova Zagora (25 000 inhabitants) is situated 30 km east of Stara Zagora. The first signs of life in the region to the end of it VII-mil. Marble statues of Zeus, Hera, Apollo, Asclepius, Hercules and the votive tablets of the Thracian horseman give information for the 20 sanctuaries and settlements. During the Byzantine Empire, the area is near the capital Constantinople, and is part of the defense system. For centuries these lands were an arena of constant struggle between Bulgarians and Byzantines. After the Battle of Chernomen in 1371 in the region was conquered by the Turks.
During the Ottoman rule the population involved in armed struggle against the oppressors in many haidouk bands. Residents of the city are among the first to be included in the national church still struggles in 1836, take part in the April Uprising (1876) with a band of Stoil Vojvoda. During the Liberation War of 1877-78, the Nova Zagora in the middle of hostilities, the result has been killed and thousands homeless, burned houses, churches and schools.
The municipality has good potential for tourism - cultural, hunting, spa, rural. Tradition is also an international sport fishing in the dams Ovcharitsa, Zhrebchevo and River Tundja. Nova Zagora is a starting point for interesting and memorable tourist routes, cultural monuments, natural attractions, historic places, In the Historical Museum has exhibits from all eras, there is a large collection of Thracian chariots. Dumpers from long mound in Karanovo is impressive with rich decoration. Quadricycle by Korten is the largest ancient chariot found in the world.
The Mound in Karanovo is 10 km northwest of Nova Zagora. Here are all dealt with prehistoric eras - from the New Stone to the Bronze, the mound was inhabited for about 3000 years. The results of the studies address a number of important issues in the New Stone, Stone-copper and Bronze Age.
Chirpan is located 40 km. from Stara Zagora and 55 km from Plovdiv, close to two highways from Sofia to Istanbul and Black Sea. Excavations in the area Karasura show the remains of settlements from V millennium BC. Roman city Pizus is 7 km from the city and Chirpan is its present location since the beginning of the XV century. During the Renaissance is a city with well developed agriculture and crafts. Chirpan is the birthplace of George Danchov-Zografina, many famous revolutionaries and revolutionary poet Peyo Yavorov. Chirpan citizens were among the first to begin organized struggle for the unification of Bulgaria.
Native house-museum of Yavorov was opened in 1954. Bit layout of the rooms, the exhibition of photos and original articles present life and creative path of the great Bulgarian poet. The museum is a center of the annual celebrations of the traditional Yavorov's January days.
The Chirpan Monastery of St. Athanasius is the oldest monastery in the entire European continent. Located about 15 km southeast of Chirpan. The monastery rises the shapely hill, they have found remnants of an old Roman fortress. It is believed that St. Athanasius himself is the monastery founded in 344. At that time, Patriarch of Alexandria Athanasius attended today's Bulgarian lands in connection with the conduct of the Ecumenical Council of Serdica (343-344). According to the biography of the Saint, he stays on the road near Beroe (today Stara Zagora) and founded a monastery.
The location was chosen because of its strategic position on the main road between Constantinople (now Istanbul) and Serdica (Sofia), and proximity to important fortress. Chirpan monastery was destroyed many times. Vasil Levski and other revolutionaries have hid themselves in it during the liberation struggle. In the early 80's of last century was built a new building. One of the valuable benefits is the Egyptian icon of St. Athanasius, given during the visit of Patriarch of Alexandria Petros VII in 2003.
Merichleri is 60 km east of Plovdiv, 150 m above sea level. The mineral water is used for treatment and prevention of diseases of the digestive tract, the metabolism, diabetes, gout and chronic intoxication by heavy metals.