||Veliko Tarnovo, Arbanasi, Gorna Oryahovitsa
|Vidin, Kozloduj, Kula
||Shumen, Novi Pazar, Pliska, Veliki Preslav, Madara
|Svishtov, Nature Park Persina
||The Monastery's around the Veliko Tarnovo
|Silistra, Tutrakan, Sreburna
||The Nature Park "Rusenski Lom", The Rock Monastery's
Veliko Tarnovo (90 000 inhabitants) is 210 m above the sea level. The town is almost equally remote from the big cities in the country – 240 km from Sofia, 230 km from Varna, 190 km from Plovdiv, and 220 km from Burgas. It is situated on the historical hills Tsarevets, Trapezitsa and Sveta Gora, and the wide river-turns of Yantra.
The town is with very big historical past. The first signs of life are found on Trapizitsa dating from almost 5000 years. The remains on Tsarevets from the Bronze Age are 16 centuries old. In X century the hills are thick populated and Tarnovo has become strengthening town and economical center. In 1187 the brothers Asen and Peter organized successful rebellion against the Byzantium authority and proclaim Tarnovo for capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdome. In the next two centuries the town is an important center in Europe. This rise is interrupted on 17.7.1393 from the Turks.
In the Bulgarian Renaissance the town knows new rise. Beautiful houses, house of parliament and churches have been constructed. After the Liberation the first Parliament got accustomed here (1879) and accepts the Turnovo’s Constitution, one of the most democratic in Europe for those time. Although not being today capitol of Bulgaria, Tarnovo is a source on national pride and a symbol of the Bulgarian national identity.
Hotels in Veliko Tarnovo
On the hill Tsarevets was the capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom (1185-1393). Bulgaria has stepped on three seas and is the most powerful country in Southeast Europe. The hill was thick built and the King’s and Patriarch’s castles were on the top. The senior traces of human presence date from the second millennium B.C. In IV century the hill has been populated, in the end of V century a Byzantine stronghold had risen up on it. In XII century it is extended with the sort that is being kept until today. The city clocks the aura of Rome and Constantinople.
The fortress has three entrances. The general is on a narrow rock array crossed with additional protective facility. There was a versatile bridge and further three gates. The palatial complex is cloistered by intrinsic stone wall combinative towers with two entrances. Patriarchate is recovered in 1981 in a fair of 1300 years of the creation of the Bulgarian state. Great walls surround the hill, and the high rocks turn him a impregnable castle that precipitate into the arms, of the invaders after disloyalty. More than 400 home houses, over 22 churches and 4 monasteries are discovered on the slope of the hill.
The Sound and lightaudio–visual spectacle is the only in Europe. There are similar spectacles to three points in the world. Her glorious tragic story of the Second Bulgarian Cingdom is being told through the music, variegated lights, lasers and church bells.
On the hill Trapezitsa were discovered the foundations of 17 churches, Asen neighborhood with The St. Demetrius and The St. Forty Martyrs churchs of XII century
In the hill Sveta Gora is situated the Veliko-Tarnovo's University.
The Mother Bulgaria Memorial is situated in the centre of Veliko Tarnovo. It’s devoted of the killed in the Russian-Turkish, Serbian–Bulgarian, The Balkan and the First world war's, with means which are make a present of the people of Veliko Tarnovo. It’s discovered on 6 may 1935.
The Holy Nativity of Mary Cathedral Temple in the old part of the town - Bolyarska mahala (The Boyars neighbourhood). It’s built by great bulgarian builder Kolyo Ficheto (1842-1844). It is from whittled sandstone built. It is with four columns and elliptic windows decked. The highest part of the temple is the martello tower with the picture of Jesus Christ. The church is with a nave and two aisles. The floor is macadamized with marmoreal plates. Except the head entrance there are further two lateral, symmetrically located doors. It’s built with means which are selected by the peoples from the neighbourhood. Through the earth-quake in 1913 the church is selected to bases. Its facade is restored to the plan and models, producing before the earth-quake.
Samovodskata charshiya (The Samovodene bazar) is the old market of Veliko Turnovo that had originated, in the beginning of a XIX century. Of those who are today belt maker, cutlery, potter’s, carpenter’s as well textile. Fix-it shop Authentic technologies are being used. The Tarnovo's rest houses have been being located in a nineteen century-here. "Hanat na hadji Nikoli" (Hadji Nikoli rest house) is among them most known. In the complex there are a multitude of small tavern, where you can try delicious local speciality.
The churches Saint Nicholas, St. Cyril and Methodius, St. Constantine and Helena, the architect memorials The house of the monkey, Petko Slaveikov’s house, Anastasia’s house, Stambolov’s bridge are very interesting.
The Museum of the Bulgarian Renaissance and the Constituent Assembly is situated in the Old Camp ranged by Kolyo Ficheto and associated with events, that are much historic for Bulgaria.
At the prison-museum were many great Bulgarian heroes.
The archeological reserve Nikopolis ad Istrum (City of the victory of Danube) is 20 km from Veliko Tarnovo. The city is built at the beginning of II century from emperor Trayan after his victory over the daks near river Rosica. It existed till VII century when it was destroyed by the Avars. The covered with paving stones streets have direction north-south and east–north. The water is from three waterpipes as the main has 27 km length. It is covered with high walls and towers. There is allowance for making monets in cash with different symbols, buildings, etc. There are found marble statue of the god of love Eros, bronze head of emperor Gordian III (238 – 244)
Arbanasi is located on a rock tableland, 4 km from Veliko Tarnovo. Architectural reserve included in the UNESCO list of world cultural heritage. Revival architecture from XVI-XVII century and make nature Arbanassi paradise for tourists. The village was founded in the XIV century. In the middle of the XVI century, the residents are provided tax relief against the obligation to guard the nearby passage. This leads to greater development.
The villagers maintain commercial relations with Italy, Austria-Hungary, Russia, India. Develop a number of handicrafts. Fortress-houses impress with their crude appearance and high stone fences, with picturesque courtyards, cozy and comfortable. Richly decorated with wood carvings, murals and patterns. Preserved 7 churches without external decorations, but inside are richly adorned with beautiful carvings and paintings.
The Girl's monastery in Arbanasi is one of the several spiritual cloisters around the old capital of Bulgaria. The monastery was built in the time of the Second Bulgarian state. When in 1393 Veliko Tarnovo was conquered by the Turkish, in Arbanasi survived just several houses, one of them was this monastery. In the first centuries of the slavery it was well- off but later it became desolate. In 1680 was built the new church and in 1716 the residential buildings. In 1762 the church and the chapel were decorated with wall-paintings. In the other end of the village there is another monastery - Saint Nicholas.
It is very interesting the situated on one entrance the in relieve and a wonder-working icon with a silver repousse cover of Holy Virgin. It is from the time of the Second Bulgarian state. After the conquest of Carevec the monks were sent away from the monastery and they dug in the icon. Many years later one shepherd boy heart a crying, which came underground. This shepherd boy find the icon with his father help. A part of facing was added later from the local dealer whose child was cured after a pray in front of the icon.
Gorna Oryahovitsa is located 5 km. from Veliko Tarnovo and 2 km. of Arbanasi. The Stone Peak reveals wonderful panoramic view of Gorna Oryahovitsa, Yantra River and all surrounding villages. The Stone Ecopath provides an opportunity for observation of interesting natural formations and rare plant and animal species. Only 5 km southwest of the city is Bojurina Polyana Protected area - a rare flower of the field that became a symbol of the city. Immediately to the southwestern suburbs forest park in which rare species of birds.