Your vacation in Bulgaria
BG
ENG
DE
RU
PL
 
  About Bulgaria
  History
  Tourist Information
  Black sea Coast
  The Danube & Premountain
  Stara planina - The Balkan
  Vitosha & Struma
  The Roses valley & Thracia
  Rila & Pirin Mountains
  The Rhodopes

  100 National Objects
  Thracians Treasure
  Bulgarian's Monasteries
  World Heritage
  SPA Resorts
  Village Tourism
  Hunting and Fishing Tourism
  Ecological Tourism

  Sofia
  Varna
  Plovdiv
  Burgas

  Photo Gallery
  Map
  Contact us
Vratsa, Vratschanski Balkan Nature Park, Ledenika Cave
Gabrovo, Etura, Bojenci, Sokol's Monastery
Montana, Berkovitsa, Varshets, Chiprovtsi
Botevgrad, Etropole, Skravena
Troyan, Troyan Monastery, Cherni Osum, Oreshak
Central Balkan National Park, Peak Botev
Shipka National Park-Museum

Troyan (26 000 c) is 180 km. from Sofia on the banks of the river Beli Osam. The city has a very rich history. It is passed through the ancient Roman road Via Traiana, connecting the Danube with Thrace and the Aegean Sea, gave his name. In the vicinity of Troyan is a national park "Central Balkan". Interest are the City Tower and old architectural complexes. Each year are held May-cultural festivals and autumn. Feast of plum and plum brandy with many tastings and competitions. Tradition is a celebration of St. Spyridon - patron of craftsmen.

Church of St. Paraskeva was built in 1835 at the old chapel burned in 1877 and restored thanks to voluntary donations and grants from the Troyan Monastery after the Liberation. The church is dominated by the rich decoration of the facade and cornice. The icons were painted by different painters, and carvings in the style of the Tryavna school.

Museum of traditional crafts and applied arts is located in a building in 1881. Model of artisanal quarter shows us everyday life 150 years before. The first floor is devoted to the Trojan household ceramics. The exhibition presents the woodworking and crafts, iconography, copper, Goldsmith, weaving and more.

Troyan's Monastery "St. Assumption" is about 10 km. from Troyan, on Black Osum river and it is 400 m. above sea level and it is the biggest monastery in Stara planina mountain. It is surround from beautiful woods, the complex is very well developed like a tourist object. The monastery’s buildings contends and hotel’s part with well-appointed rooms. There are good places of resort around, where everyone can taste the popular Troyan’s plum-brandy, which is boiled according to the old monastery’s recipes.

In XV c after the end of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom here was settled a monk-hermit. He gain the respect of the local people, who started to visit him for prayers and advices. There is built a church whish is devoted to the Holy Virgin. The monastery was destroyed and the monks were killed. In 4.12.1830 in Constantinopol (today’s Istanbul) was published a Special deed from the Patriarch. He announced the Troyan’s monastery for “stavropigalen” - subordinate to him only. The monastery was widened and it became a spiritual and culture centre.

The monastery was built in the spirit of the Bulgarian revival. The church “St. Nicolas Wonder worker” is the oldest preserved religion building. It is found out of the complex, about half an hour coat-tail in southern direction. The monastery temple “St. Assumption” was built in 1835 from level stone and big bricks which are changed on rows with arch niches. The different parts of the complex were built in different times but it was reached an incredible harmony.

The monk’s buildings are 3 and 4 storey with long openly verandas which view is to the inside yard. The columns and the parapets are in Bulgarian revival style. The wall-paintings were made Zahari Zograf and his brother Dimitar. Here Zahari made his own portrait, which he put in the church next to the abbot’s one. The ornaments in “St. Assumption” are magnificent, in baroque style. There were pictured the all 27 monks, who lived in the monastery in this times. There is an interesting painting on the inside wall which is not in the monastery’s wall - painting style. Zahari Zograf picture a lion and an elephant on this painting, which are symbols of the Bulgarian power and calmness in the times of the Turkish slavery. Impressive are the wood-carving on the church’s iconostasis, which was made from walnut - tree by the Tryavna’s masters.

Like most of the Bulgarian monasteries there is a wonder-working icon too: “Holy Virgin”. According to the legend the icon is a donation from a monk who was settled for a while to the Troyan’s hermit in a way from Aton. The monastery is connected with the liberation fight. It was shelter of the Apostle of the freedom Vasil Levski. There was a secret monastery revolutionary committee. The committee was numbered 80 monks and it was stood at the head by archimandrite Makarij. In the times of the Russian-Turkish liberation war father Makarij made it in military infirmary for the Russian army and he help to their army.

Balabansko is situated 6 km. of Troyan. Nearby are working year-round hot mineral pools in the Shipkovo and Chiflik, the ski slopes of Beklemeto, you can rent a bicycle to try their skills in paintball, archery, horseback riding with a picnic on the old Roman road "Via Traiana or jeep tour with trudnoprohodimi in mountainous terrain.

Tourist Complex Beklemeto (1320 m altitude) is located 20 km south of Troyan. The area is suitable for summer and winter hikes in the high part of the mountain. The "Beklemeto" is the best track for biathlon and cross country skiing, approved by international organizations in biathlon and cross country skiing FIBA and FIS.

Beli Osam is 10 km southwest of Troyan, 160 km from Sofia, ideal for rural tourism. Houses, hotels and accommodation offered to organize walks and hikes in the Troyan Balkan region, about 10 km. from there and ski slopes. Beli Osam location makes it a starting point for mountain hikes, there is horseback base, opportunities to fish in the river Beli Osam.

Three Houses Tourist Complex
Complex is open to visitors in early 2008. Coziness, cozy atmosphere and stylish decor in the spirit of the old Bulgarian houses, combined with peace, tranquility and beauty of the mountain, predispose for recreation in nature. The spacious landscaped yard with beautiful stone walls is a large summer BBQ in the old style, which offers all facilities for recreation among Nature. The Three houses are suitable destination for a family vacation or holiday with friends throughout the year. The Mariana house is the largest for a maximum of 6 people, with two large bedrooms, large living room, which has a bed for two people. Houses Tony and Nicky are suitable for 4 people, have one large bedroom, separate living room, which can sleep two people. In each house there is an option for additional bed.
     More Info

Gorno Trape is located in a 500-700 m above sea level 8 km. by Troyan, suitable for ecotourism, cultural tourism and mountaineering. Picturesque mountain village with a favorable climate, near in Shipkovo and Chiflik, where there are thermal pools, 15 km. by Troyan Monastery. Its name comes from the location in the valley between peaks.

Leshnitsa is 15 km. north of Troyan, passes through the village road and railway line for Lovech. The village is situated in the mountain region is suitable for hiking, walking, visiting cultural and historic landmarks.

Oreshak is located 7 km east of Troyan, upstream of the Cherni Osam River. The biggest landmark in the village is the Troyan monastery "The Assumption". Another landmark is the National Exhibition of arts and crafts - the only place in Bulgaria, where craftsmen from across the country show their work. In one of the exhibition halls is organized bazaar where you can buy articles made by Bulgarian and foreign craftsmen. In Oreshak has many hotels and restaurants, here have developed rural and mountain tourism.

Cherni Osam is 12 km from Troyan, on both sides of the eponymous river at the foot of Mount Large Purchased (2169 m) and Vasil Levski (2166 m) and the National Park "Central Balkan". Near the village is the reserve "Steneto" (The walls). Symbol of Cherni Osam is the eagle, immortalized in a monument at its entrance. The village has an original and beautiful collection of over 2000 old photos. For 2-3 hours a ridge of Stara Planina.

Natural Science Museum in the village was established in 1956 by a local biology teacher Ilia Iliev, who with his students study, collect and stuffed birds and mammals in the region. In 1976 the interesting collection is located in a special purpose built building, the 1992 has the status of the Museum. The museum has more than 700 exhibits, representatives of all animal species inhabiting the Central Stara Planina.












 
2005-2010 BgTourInfo © All Rights Reserved