||Pazardzhik, Varvara, Batkun Monastery
||Stara Zagora, Nova Zagora, Chirpan
||Kalofer, Pavel Banya
||Haskovo, Dimitrovgrad, Svilengrad
||Koprivshtitsa, Klisura, Peak Bogdan
Haskovo (108 000 c) is found in the low hilly bifurcations of Eastern Rhodopes. There is good developed basis for tourists and for organizing some sports, business and culture actions. The region is a place with rich and ancient culture. There are a lot of vestiges in the settlement hills near Simeonovgrad, Dimitrovgrad, of the past - from the epoch of the early neolith - the late stone age. Here lived the thracians, they left sepulchral hills (village Mezek and Aleksandrovo), necropolis and strongholds, the dolmens in Sakar and the Eastern Rhodopes.
In the times of the Roman domination was created a road net, bridges, strongholds, sanctuaries, amphitheatres and so on. The strong strongholds and the Byzantine’s efforts can’t stop the Slavs and the Proto-Bulgarians, who settled here. In the Hisarya place in IX c was built a stronghold with an inside town. In the village Klokotnica the Bulgarian army which was leaded by King Ivan Asen II routed the Despot Teodor Komnin (1230). After the Chernomens (Chirmen) battle in September 1371, Haskovo was conquered by the Turkish. The biggest fair in European Turkey is Uzundjovo, is visited by about 50 000 people an year.
In the times of the Bulgarian Revival, Haskovo is not only an economic centre. It is a spiritual centre of the Bulgarians. The church “Holy Virgin” was built in 1837. In 1864 was made the class Bulgarian school. In 1872 was made a revolutionary committee. Russia-Turkey Liberating war brought to liberation of Haskovo. The liberating shows new way of Haskovo’s development. Haskovo is one of the most important centers of the tobacco industry in Bulgaria. The mines in Marica’s mine pool are very well developed.
The landmarks are the stronghold from the Middle ages Hisarya, Asen’s stronghold in village Klokotnica. The Paskalev'house is like an ethnography museum, there is an exposition of local crafts in Shishman’s house. The picturesque place Kenana is beautiful oak wood with spacious park, restaurants, tennis-courts, places for rest, mineral baths.
Monument to the Virgin Mary is considered a statue of the town patroness the Virgin Mary with the infant, 14 meters high and weighs 80 tons, stands on a 17-foot pedestal on a hill to the city. The inside is a chapel. In 2004 in the "Religion" of the Guinness Book of Records was recorded as the highest statue of the Virgin.
Thracian Art Museum is opened on 15.05.2009 by Their Highnesses Akishino - Prince and Princess of Japan, was built with financial assistance from Japan. Thracian heritage in the region is represented by movable monuments of culture, covering the period of the late Iron Age. Visitors can learn about the most remarkable archaeological sites in the Eastern Rhodopes, Sakar Mountain and the valley of the Maritsa River.
Dimitrovgrad (43 000 inhabitants) is situated 220 km from Sofia and 16 km from Haskovo. Here is one of the largest railway station in southern Bulgaria, passing four European transport corridors. Dimitrovgrad was founded in 1947 by connecting four villages. The most beautiful natural landmark is a park Penyo Penev with 15 lakes.
House-Museum Penyo Penev is equipped with audio-visual system and can hear the original performances of the poet, and a film about it. Historical Museum was established in 1951 as the Museum of socialist construction. The funds it held over 48 000 exhibits and a rich ethnographic collection.
Svilengrad (18 000 inhabitants) is in the valley of the Maritsa to the point where the three state borders meet: Bulgarian, Greek and Turkish. Haskovo is 70 km, Sofia 300 km, 30 km from Edirne and 265 km from Istanbul. One of Bulgaria's entry doors. The natural resources and strategic location have caused the area to be inhabited since ancient times.
In bronze and iron period settled here Odrisses Thracian tribe. The Romans built a fortress Burdenis (Burdipto). The region is an arena of incessant wars, one of the biggest battles in Bulgarian history is April 14, 1205, when troops of Kaloyan inflicted a major defeat invincible then Latin army led by Emperor Baldwin.
In 1529 on the Maritsa river was built bridge, which occurs around town Mustafa Pasha. The stone bridge is the only completely preserved element of a complex of a caravanserai, a mosque, bazaar and hamam. It was built by order of Damad Mustafa Pasha, during the time of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent (1520-1566). In the middle of the bridge there is a marble bas-relief plate.
During the Balkan Wars, here is the world's first military airfield, flew here is the world's first aircraft used for military purposes in 16.10.1912. The town was burned down during the summer of 1913, when Turkey intervened in the Balkan War against Bulgaria, and finally released at the end of 1913. The Church Holy Trinity was built in 1834. In the burning of the town in 1913, the church also burned, but the shape is retained restoration. In 1847 the church opened to the first secular school in the city.
Mezek Village is located on the Bulgarian-Greek border, 10 km. of Svilengrad. The village was awarded a Gold Seal of unique European settlement. Interest in Mezek is caused by cultural and historical monuments Thracian domed tomb, medieval castle and fortress.
Thracian domed tomb was built in IV century BC. and is the largest and preserved tomb of this kind. Is an impressive construction of dry masonry, large boulders are associated with iron and oak brackets, the tomb is covered with 15-meters embankment. Its total length is 30 meters, corridor is 21 m., 1.60 m wide and high 2.60 m. Were found many objects of gold, silver, bronze, iron, glass, faience and clay from the IV - III century BC.
Fortress in Mezek is the best preserved medieval fortress in the Rhodopes. It was built XI-XII century among the beautiful northeastern slopes of the mountain. Cylindrical defensive towers located all along the wall are higher than 10 m. The castle has played a key role in the last centuries of the Second Bulgarian State.