||Pazardzhik, Varvara, Batkun Monastery
||Stara Zagora, Nova Zagora, Chirpan
||Kalofer, Pavel Banya
||Haskovo, Dimitrovgrad, Svilengrad
||Koprivshtitsa, Klisura, Peak Bogdan
Plovdiv (370 000 c) is situated in the West part of the North Thracian Valley, 150 km from Sofia and 400 km from Varna. It was the second biggest city in Bulgaria, there is an airport and highways to Sofia and Istanbul, good road and railway connections to all parts of the country.
Plovdiv is one of the oldest cities in Europe, contemporary to Troy and Mycenae. It is more than 8000 years old, the oldest inhabitants were from the Late Stone Age. It'sity from 3000 years - the time of the Trojan War. During I c.b.C. the Thracians founded the village of Eumolpias. In 342 B.C. it was conquered by Philip II of Macedon, it was renamed Philippoupolis and transformed to important Fortress.
For the Romans it was important economical, cultural and political center with the name Trimontium. Hunsí and Gothsí invasions burnt down the city. Than the Slavs gave it a name Paldin. It joined the Bulgarian country during the Khan Krumís rule - 815. During the Turkish invasion it was famous as Filibe. After the Berlinís congress (1878) it became the capital of Eastern Roumelia. After the Joining in 1885 it again becomes one of the Bulgariaís cities.
The Ego Hotel is a new, modern hotel. It is situated in the city center, next to the main street and the old town. The international Plovdiv Fair is only 10-15 minute walking. Most rooms are situated on higher levels making the stay a quiet experience. The full capacity of the hotel is 50-55 persons. The hotel offers finish sauna, hair dresser, dentist, underground parking, dry cleaning, room service etc. Ego Hotel provides breakfast to all its guests. There are four restaurants just opposite the hotel building. The conference hall is a multifunctional with possibilities for seminars, business meetings of all kinds.
The Ancient Roman Theatre is the most astounding sight from the roman times. The audience place is situated in tears in two circles each with 14 rows. It was designed form more than 7000 viewers. On each bench was engraved the name of the respective neighborhood. The stage is on two levels. The good quality materials and manufacture show the architectural perfection of the ancient construction.
The Romans Stadium was founded under the nowadays Cityís Shopping Center. It is from The Emperor Septimus Severusí times (193-211). It has a horseshoe shape and can take up to 30 000 viewers, which shows how big was the city in that times. The most glamorous competitions were organized in the Great Greek Olympic gamesístyle. The main disciplines were disc and javelin throwing, running, jumping, wrestling and shooting.
The Old Plovdiv (The Three Hills) is a combination of Bulgarian architecture from the national revival and the architecture from the Thracians, Rome, Byzantium and The middle ages. It is with narrow stone streets, pretty houses with small windows and pillars, oaken gates and silent green gardens with rippling marble fountains. Each of the houses has its own style. The Ethnographic museum, the galleries, the churches and the street of folklore handcrafts are the most interesting sightseeing. Many of the houses are museums.
The Ethnographical museum is situated in a house from the national revival with typical baroque style, built in 1847 with a splendid green garden. It has a protruding middle part and two side wings and broken up facade. It was e girlís school, a hat factory and a tobacco warehouse. Since 1943 it is a museum with 5 departments.
Agricultural and handcraft department shows the economical development during the period of the national revival and in the early years of the capitalism. Grain-producing, gardening rose and tobacco producing sheep-breeding and others are illustrated in the department. In the third department there are a lot of folklore clothing and fabrics, also many musical instrument. There is also typical city fashion from the XIX and XX c. There is also a department for architecture of the national revival epoch.
The Nedkovich house is a classical example for the late symmetrical houses. Here are held a lot of cultural events. Although it is restored the original view of the house is well preserved. The luxuriance is has given its position to intimacy and house spirit. The saloon is not very big and was used as dining and living room, the two floors are with two separate stairs. The combination of elegance and efficiency is very impressionable and also the mixture of architectural shapes and decorations. The raw view of the building is softened by the wood-carvings, the ancient furniture, bronze and gilt ornaments. The green and red rooms have e very beautiful decoration.
The Hindipyan house is built in 1835. It is unique with its artistic decoration with originally preserved frescoes, furniture, and a roman style bathroom. The ceilings are decorated with magnificent views over Alexandria, Venice and Istanbul, different in each room.
The Church "St Marina" is the main Temple of the Plovdivís Eparchy. It was built over ancient Christian remains in 1856. The magnificent iconostasis from 1828 and the well preserved icons from the national revival make a very good impression. The church tower is from 1870.
Djumaya Mosque (Ulu mosque) is important architectural monument, one of the biggest and oldest mosques in Bulgaria. It is called Djumaya (From Turkish Ė Friday), because the religious service is held on Friday. It was built during the Sultan Murad II rule (1359-1385). It was restored in 1785 and 1818. It is supposed to be one of the most magnificent Muslim religious temples on the Balkans peninsula. It is a massive building with thick stone walls. It is 33 m wide and 45 m long. The dome is covered in led. Polygonal minaret is built by red bricks with white mortar for decoration. The pretty sun clock had marked the days of the sultanís rule. The mosque is decorated with frescos from the XIX c. There are boxes for the sultan and imam.
Chifte banya (The Double bath) is an ancient Turkish bath from XVI c. There is a menís and womenís department. It is a cultural monument. It was partly restored for the European month of the culture in Plovdiv. There are plans for the building to become a contemporary art center.