Petrich (28 000 citizens) is situated in the foot of Belasica. 10 km from today’s city, in the south slopes of the mountain Kozhuh was a tracian village. In I c. the romans turned in into the well done city fortress Petra, destroyed in VI c. from the slavs. The survived citizens of the fortress started living in today Petrich. In 837 Khan Presyan attracts it to Bulgaria. In 1014 century here took place the battle between Bulgarian soldiers with king Samuel and the soldiers of bizantian Imperor Vasilius II, finished with one of the biggest barbarians in the world history – making 14 000 bulgarian soldiers blind.
At the time of Renaissance in Petchich is lead a battle for Bulgarian language, schools and Bulgarian church. In 1868 is built the first Bulgarian church “St.Nikolas”,in 1873 is opened Bulgarian school. According to the Berlin contract Petrich leaves in the borders of Turkey and is given back to the Turkish sultan. In 1912 it is in the borders of Bulgaria. Petrich is administrative center. In the city there are Historical museum and place for young people. “The home of the unknown soldier” is built for the dead soldiers.
The Rupite is a crater of a distincted volcano on the hill Kozhuh and thermal waters and the hill Pchelina. It lacks here huge villages and industrial enterprises. The climate is continental – Mediterranean with mild winters and hot summers. The raining is very small. The waters are with very curing effect and debit 35l/sec and t – 71 degrees. Here was the roman town Petra. In the Middle Ages here was found the monastery “St. Panteleymon”, from which is kept a small chapel. The region is under the protection of the law. In the Red book of Bulgaria are included 13 species plants (8 of them found only here), 201 kind of birds. Here passes Via Aristotelis – one of the two migration roads of the birds.
Foreteller Vanga and the church "St Petka Bulgarians"
The region Rupite is known from the past as the place where a lot of visitors came to see the famous bulgarian foreteller Vangelya Gushterova – aunt Vanga (3.Ő.1911-11.V˛˛˛.1996 ă.). She moved here , because the place is magic and it takes energy from here. In 1992 the foreteller builts the church “St. Petka Bulgarians”, turned simultaneously in a place for worship for thousands of people. The grave of the foreteller is next to the church. The place is magnetic and it attracts thousands of people not only from the country but also from foreigner. The whole region is thought as saint from the people.
The King Samuel Fortres In 971 bizantians conquer the east part of Bulgaria. More than 40 years after that king Samuel is against the Bizantine Empire. In 1014 bizantine Emperor Vasilius II again battlest Bulgaria. In the region Klyuch he was stopped from the Bulgarian army. The Bizantine attacked them at the back and take prisoner 14 000 people.
Soon after that, on Belasica, the bulgarians defeat the bizantine army. Angry Vasilius II gave order to be blinded the 14 000 prisonerń Bulgarian soldiers. On every 100 was left one with one eye to lead them. With this cruelty Vasilius II takes place in the history with the name Bulgarian killer. The area where this happened nowadays is called “Removed eyes”.
When Bulgarian King Samuel saw his warriors he had a heart attack and after two days he died. 4 years after his deathe Bulgaria was in bizantine slavery.
On the beach of river Strumeshnica, on the place of the dramatic battle by Belasica, today is a monument of king Samuel.